Chief Financial Officer
Tuskegee University in Alabama
|Deadline||April 10, 2017|
|Date Posted||March 9, 2017|
Executive Search for the
Chief Financial Officer
Tuskegee University, a national, independent, and state-related institution of higher learning in Alabama, invites applications and nominations for its national search for an experienced, detailed administrative leader to serve as the Chief Financial Officer. This senior officer of the University reports to the President.
Complete information is available in the Search Profile at http://www.myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/file/Tuskegee-CFO17.pdf
As one of the nation’s leading historically black institutions of higher learning, Tuskegee University has been providing educational excellence for its students since 1881. The University has distinctive strengths in the sciences, architecture, business, engineering, health, and other professions, all structured on solid foundations in the liberal arts.
President Brian Johnson is committed to Tuskegee University becoming an “Outcomes-Oriented University.” The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will have a key role is achieving this goal. The CFO will use his or her expertise to assist in the University’s efforts to be a sustainable academic organization committed to excellence.
The CFO promotes the financial well-being of the University by providing budget management, monitoring appropriate investments of temporary cash balances, exercising executive control over University budgets, and safeguarding all financial assets of the University.
The CFO advises the President, senior University administration officers, and members of the Board of Trustees on issues relating to the financial status of the University. This senior officer is a member of the President’s Administrative Council.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Reports financial information at Board of Trustee meetings and prepares reports, recommendations, findings, and other correspondence as required.
- Helps to ensure achievement of the goals and objectives of the University by overseeing the preparation of an annual appropriations request to the State or Federal agencies and overseeing the preparation of an internal budget using budget models to project future revenue and following established policies for expenditures.
- Facilitates an effective working relationship with state officials by ensuring University compliance with state fiscal policies and accounting procedures, maintaining open channels of communication with appropriate state officials, facilitating an exchange of information on these subjects, and implementing all relevant state policies regarding fiscal operations.
- Ensures compliance with professional accounting standards, rules, regulations, and laws by directing, supervising, and facilitating the preparation and maintenance of required and appropriate financial records, monthly and annual financial reports, and all other financial reporting as may be required by federal, state, local agencies, or established accounting standards.
- Facilitates the governance of the University by providing financial information to the Board of Trustees and by implementing the Board’s decisions through the establishment of policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Independently manages highly-complex financial projects and initiatives.
- Prevents institutional liability in financial operations by facilitating independent auditor access to requested records during the conduct of the University’s annual audit.
- Ensures compliance with the institutional mission of the University by working with unit managers to develop and review unit plans, goals, and objectives, assuring development of effective business processes incorporating automation with appropriate technologies, designing systems of effective controls to guide work toward expected outcomes, and evaluating progress towards their accomplishment.
- Ensures that Financial Services has the resources necessary to provide financial information to support the academic program, such as preparation of financial reports and the development of incentive funding and cost recovery models that support innovation and growth.
- Ensures efficient and effective operation of the procurement function by overseeing procurement services, property and receiving as well as all University real estate transactions and risk management/insurance analysis and transactions.
- Enables division employees to perform their assigned tasks by overseeing the preparation and implementation of the annual budget for Financial Services.
- Hires, trains, develops, and appraises staff effectively and takes corrective action if necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with University policy, consulting with Human Resources as appropriate.
- Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Remains competent and current by reading professional journals and literature, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as appropriate.
- Ensures that miscellaneous assignments related to Financial Services are completed in the best interests of the University by accepting and accomplishing all other tasks assigned by the President.
- Independently manages highly-complex financial projects and initiatives.
Minimum Qualifications - An earned bachelor’s degree and CPA credentials are required. A master’s degree or doctorate in Business Administration, Accounting, or Finance is highly preferred. A combination of education and extensive financial and budget management experience in an institution of higher education is highly desired.
To perform the duties of this position successfully, candidates should have 8-10 years of progressive senior/executive-level financial experience. Experience in working with the Ellucian system and Blackboard Analytics is highly preferred.
The CFO helps to promote a customer-oriented service attitude and is directly responsible for providing leadership and general management of the following financial service units with:
Controller: University payroll operations, cash management programs, investments, coordination with independent auditors, and coordination of the collection of student loans and other accounts receivable items
Accounting: Budget control, accounts receivable and accounts payable processing, supervision of financial transactions that affect the general ledger, and preparation of the financial statement of the University
Grants and Foundation Accounting: Accounting and administrative control to maintain University grants and contracts and accounting operations of foundation funding
Bursar: Central collection for all monies received by the University, check-cashing services for students, faculty, and staff, and custodian for various University funds
Budgeting: Data collection and preparation of both the appropriations request to the Board of Trustees, President and the annual internal operating budget
Procurement: Purchasing, solicitations, departmental procurement cards, property control, central receiving and shipping, real estate acquisitions, risk management, and insurance
Financial Information Systems: In cooperation with the Chief Information Officer, maintains and upgrades computer systems which capture information required for internal and external financial reporting
Tuskegee University - Founded by Booker T. Washington in 1881, Tuskegee University has held a prominent place among educational institutions throughout its history. Today, the University continues on its trajectory of successfully preparing graduates for the work and responsibilities of the 21st century and beyond.
Tuskegee is rooted in a history of successfully educating African Americans to understand themselves and their society against the background of their total cultural heritage and the promise of their individual and collective future. The University is dedicated to serving its students, purposely nurturing and challenging them to grow to their fullest potential. The entire institution seeks to prepare students whose technical, scientific, and professional prowess is not only rigorously honed, but also sensitively oriented in ways that produce public-spirited graduates who are both competent and morally committed to public service with integrity and excellence.
It is the only historically black college or university to be privately controlled yet to have state land-grant status.
Tuskegee University’s student body is coeducational as well as racially, ethnically, and religiously diverse. With a strong orientation toward disciplines that highlight the relationship between education and workforce preparation in the sciences, professions, and technical areas, the University emphasizes the importance of the liberal arts as a foundation for careers in all areas.
More than 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students are enrolled in academic programs across eight colleges and schools: the College of Agriculture, Environment, and Nutrition Sciences; the College of Arts and Sciences; the Brimmer College of Business and Information Science; the College of Engineering; the College of Veterinary Medicine; the Taylor School of Architecture and Construction Science; the School of Education; and the School of Nursing and Allied Health.
The University has approximately 900 faculty and support personnel. The student-faculty ratio is 14:1, and 57 percent of classes have fewer than 20 students. The average freshman retention rate is 76 percent.
Known for its groundbreaking research and innovation, the University especially attracts students to its programs in Engineering, Psychology, Biological and Biomedical Sciences, and Health Professions. The University offers 49 degrees, including 35 Bachelor’s, 11 Master’s, a Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering and Materials Science, a Doctor of Philosophy in Integrative Biosciences, and the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.
The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Several programs also are accredited by national agencies: Architecture, Business, Education, Engineering, Clinical Laboratory Science, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Social Work, and Veterinary Medicine.
Tuskegee University is the only private, historically black university with four engineering programs that are nationally accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET), the major accrediting body for the engineering sciences. Also, the chemistry program is one of only a few among Historically Black Colleges and Universities that is approved by the American Chemical Society.
Physical facilities include more than 5,000 acres of forestry, and the campus has more than 100 major buildings and structures. The campus of Tuskegee is the only historically black college or university campus in the nation to be designated a National Historic Site. Total land, forestry, and facilities are valued in excess of $500 million.
One of the University’s fiscal 2016 goals was to improve its operating performance. Meaningful financial progress was made in some key improvements. These changes included a $5.1 million increase in net assets from operating activities, higher tuition and fee revenue, reduced institutional scholarship to 31 percent of tuition and fees from 33 percent in 2015, lowered operating expenses $8.1 million in fiscal 2016 with improvements in supplies, salaries, and benefits, research, and repairs.
The Tuskegee University Golden Tigers compete in the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference in the NCAA Division II. The University fields 10 varsity teams: five men’s teams called the “Golden Tigers” and five women’s teams called the “Tigerettes.”
Tuskegee has many notable alumni, including syndicated radio host Tom Joyner, author Ralph Ellison, and singer Lionel Richie.
Tuskegee, Alabama - The University is located in Tuskegee, Alabama, which is 35 miles east of Montgomery, the state capital. With a population of approximately 10,000, the city offers history, heritage, and hospitality. The beautiful landscape includes rolling hills, spruce pines, lakes, and meadows. Residents enjoy museums, historical sites, parks, national forest, hiking trails, and festivals. The city is within easy driving distance to Birmingham, Alabama, and Atlanta, Georgia.
Application and Nomination Process - Confidential inquiries are welcomed and nominations are invited.
To Apply - Application packets must include: 1) A letter of interest, 2) Current resume, 3) At least five references with full contact information, including email addresses (References will not be contacted without consent from applicants.), 4) Answers to the questions at www.myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/file/MMQuestions.pdf
Submit applications to Tuskegee-CFO@myersmcrae.com
Review of materials begins immediately. For best consideration, application materials should be received by April 10, 2017.
Submit nominations to Tuskegee-CFOemail@example.com Nominations should provide full contact information, including email addresses, for the individual being nominated.
Alan Medders, President of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting, is assisting Tuskegee University with this search.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Male/Female/Veteran/Disabled Federal law requires identity and employment eligibility verifications on Form I-9 within three (3) business days of employment. Must be able to pass a drug screen and background check.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
515 Mulberry Street, Suite 200, Macon, Georgia 31201
(478) 330-6222 | www.myersmcrae.com
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on ChronicleVitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in ChronicleVitae FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from ChronicleVitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using ChronicleVitae
Send all required documents to Tuskegee-CFO@myersmcrae.com
Already have a ChronicleVitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.