Manager, Engineering Education
American Society of Mechanical Engineers in District of Columbia
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||February 15, 2017|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
ASME (American Society for Mechanical Engineers) is a world-renowned, member-based professional organization focused on serving the technical, educational and other programmatic needs of the engineering and technology communities on a worldwide basis. ASME generates approximately $115 million annually from the sale of products and services and provides a wide range of mission focused programs and activities. We currently are seeking a Manager, Engineering Education for our Washington, D.C. office.
The Manager, Engineering Education provides primary program management for programs and activities associated with the ASME role in the quality assurance and advancement of formal engineering education. This is a multi-faceted role that requires experience in project management, knowledge and experience in engineering/technical education, program governance and event planning/production, financial management, and strategic planning in a shared-governance environment. The incumbent must have excellent communications skills to work with senior-level engineering educators, external collaborating organizations and cross-functional areas within ASME.
The incumbent is responsible for advancing and managing the research, development, promotion, implementation, and assessment of products and services that will help colleges of engineering develop their curricula and faculty. The faculty and curriculum development will be principally focused on enabling engineering/technology degree programs to better prepare graduates to transition to professional life in engineering practice. The individual serves as primary staff advisor and collaborator to the sub-committees under the Committee on Engineering Education and related project-committees in the creation and execution of programs that expand and add value to the ASME brand, service portfolio and membership.
In addition, in collaboration with the Director and appropriate committees, this individual manages all ASME/ABET operational activities, annual program evaluator selection and assignment to ABET accreditation visits, ASME evaluator recruitment, selection, training, and evaluation. Along with the Director, Engineering Education, he/she will serve as ASME co-principal liaison with the ABET staff. He/she will assist in identifying and pursuing additional sources of external funding, conducting research and writing grant/project proposals for support of ASME Engineering Education strategies.
Ideal candidate must have a Master’s Degree (or equivalent) and a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a related area of engineering education or practice, higher education policy, or equivalent. Experience must also include:
- Strong strategic, organizational, project leadership and management skills; excellent editorial and verbal communication, polished presentation skills, ability to interact professionally and diplomatically with accomplished higher education and industry leaders in multi-cultural environments; demonstrated ability to work with strategic focus, minimal direction and to take action on one's own.
- Support strategic planning efforts and proven experience in analyzing options and presenting ideas/solutions.
- Ability to conduct effective financial planning, management and to turn strategic ideas into workable, executable programs and activities.
- Event production/demonstrated organizational and meeting planning skills.
- Must be able to work effectively on issues and matters affecting engineering education in the U.S. and abroad, provide peer support and leadership in a team environment, effectively lead project task groups, oversee the work of vendors, and/or consultants, and interact productively and supportively with internal ASME support staff.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. ASME takes affirmative action in support of its policy to and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=asme&jobId=173536&lang=en_US&source=CC3