Senior Vice President for Research
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center in Texas
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||February 13, 2017|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) seeks an outstanding individual for the position of Senior Vice President for Research.
TTUHSC is the largest multi-campus health science center in Texas with more thatn 3,500 employees with an enrollment of over 5,000 doctoral, masters, and/or bachelors students in medicine, pharmacy, nursing, health professions, and graduate biomedical sciences. The main campus of TTUHSC is in Lubbock, Texas with additional campuses in Abilene, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, and Dallas. A core focus of TTUHSC is on scientific research and the development of new diagnosis and treatments to improve healthcare and lead to enhanced outcomes for patients and their families. Such efforts are supported by five research institutes and fifteen centers of excellence. Research and scholarship are targeted for further growth by the institution and its board of regents. Total annual research expenditures exceed $40 M with NIH, DOD, and CPRIT grants across an array of focused areas, including cancer, drug abuse, aging and women’s health, diabetes, wound healing and infectious diseases.
The position of Senior Vice President for Research is chief administrator and leader of the research enterprise on all campuses of Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. The Research Office supervises an annual budget of more than $5 M including the Office of Sponsored Programs, the vivarium, some institutional core labs, as well as the Office of Research Integrity. Furthermore, the position directs a large portion of the startup funding of the Health Sciences Center and actively promotes the research enterprises of TTUHSC within the Texas Tech University System as well as at the state and national level. This individual will be the principle architect for strengthening and growing the enterprise of TTUHSC.
Critical functions include:
- Developing, together with university faculty, a strategic plan for growing and enhancing the quality, visibility, and impact of basic, translational and clinical research conducted within the university,
- Expanding and strengthening the basic and clinical research enterprise at TTUHSC, particularly focusing on faculty hiring, strategic investments in facilities and space, and increasing external research funding from national, state and local sources, as well as collaborations with the private sector research,
- Promoting research collaboration and training across schools and departments of TTUHSC, enhancing the visibility of university research, and providing external agencies, corporations and foundations with information on the research, training and service capabilities of the university,
- Working closely with the TTU officials in identifying, establishing, and maintaining collaborations across institutions and with external stakeholders that enhance research and commercialization for the TTU System.
- Providing, leadership and management of the TTUHSC research infrastructure as well as proposals for large-scale research activities (e.g., university-wide research and pilot centers, centralized research facilities, interdisciplinary research programs and inter-institutional research agreements),
- Encouraging and assisting faculty and other university personnel in developing opportunities for patents, licensing and commercialization.
The successful candidate for Senior Vice President for Research should have an MD, Ph.D. and/or comparable terminal degree in clinical or biomedical science with academic credentials for appointment to the rank of full professor, and have work experience that demonstrates a successful and continuous record of scholarship, including success in obtaining federal peer-reviewed funding for research. The ideal candidate should also have demonstrated achievement in developing and managing a diverse staff, a commitment to quality and integrity, engaging interpersonal and public communication skills, and a demonstrated record of significant, successful administrative experience in higher education, including actual experience in research administration. Experience as a chair, vice-chair, division director, etc. preferred. Demonstrated knowledge of indirect costs, effort reporting, responsible conduct of research, federal and state regulations relating to grants, human and animal use in research required.
TTUHSC is a young and vibrant health sciences center dedicated to research, patient care and education, which has made a significant impact on health care in West Texas and beyond for more than 35 years. Lubbock is a city of more than 230,000 residents on the South Plains of West Texas, with a family-friendly environment, good schools and a national ranking for a low cost of living and short average commute. Known for its big sky and brilliant sunsets, Lubbock has a pleasant climate with warm days, cool nights, and low humidity. Lubbock is also home to Texas Tech University, which provides opportunities for collaboration as well as enjoyment of collegiate athletics and the visual and performing arts.
For consideration, please forward current CV, including funding history, names and contact information for five references and a brief description of administrative experience and management style. All materials should be submitted electronically. As an EEO/AA employer, the Texas Tech University System and its components will not discriminate in our employment practices based on an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran. TTUHSC is committed to diversity and encourages nominations and applications from all qualified individuals. Application should be made through TTUHSC’s website:
http://jobs.ttuhsc.edu/ Search for requisition #: 9966BR.
Requests for information should be directed to:
Dean Quentin Smith
Chair, Search Committee for the Senior Vice President for Research
c/o Jodi McMurray
Office of Research
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
3601 4th Street STOP 6252
Lubbock, TX 79430-6252
TTUHSC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
How To Apply
You can apply for this position online at http://jobs.ttuhsc.edu/