Associate Dean of Student Affairs
University Support Services in New York
|Date Posted||February 13, 2017|
University Support Services, located in Great River, NY, supplies administrative support to St. George's University. Reporting to the Dean of the School of Medicine, the Sr. Associate Dean for Student Affairs is a new leadership position responsible for ensuring exceptional student satisfaction and success beyond students’ clinical training. This position will have leadership oversight for the Student Support Team including the Office of Career Guidance, the on-site Clinical Student Support Program, Academic Advisement and Student Wellness. In addition, the Senior Associate Dean will chair the Graduation Assessment Board (GAB) and address new approaches for individual training to supplement and enrich the standard medical school curriculum. This position requires collaboration with the Dean of Clinical Studies.
- Manages a team of both physician and non-physician subject matter experts
- Works with and supports the Dean of Clinical Studies by ensuring that the appropriate level of outreach and support is provided to students during clinical years
- Meets frequently with clinical students in groups and individually at affiliated hospitals to provide advice, arrange for individual programs and track student satisfaction during clinical years
- Chairs the Graduate Assessment Board (GAB)
- Develops solutions to effectively and efficiently leverage our physician resources
- Identifies specific measures of success throughout medical school
- Identifies students at risk in the basic science years, the Step 1 interim period and the clerkship year. Monitors these students during any extended training period and through to graduation
- Collaborates with the faculty and Deans to accurately assess student needs and develop plans to address these needs
- Serves as a student advocacy lead in securing interviews and residencies
- Develops programs to enhance the success of our students including individual extended training, dual degree programs and alternate activities
- Offers guidance to students on individualized study, extended training or alternate activities
- Proposes and manages the budget for the above activities
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- MD, PhD, or EdD is required
- 10 years of experience working in a medical school or clinical education environment overseeing student and/or residency success programs
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with USMLE preparation and the residency application process
- Exceptional leadership skills with demonstrated ability to manage people and results within a complex organizational structure.
- Operational and analytical acumen with proven ability to assess the root causes of problems, methodically develop plans to address these problems, implement solutions, track outcomes and reengineer as needed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven ability to effectively negotiate, influence and lead change in a highly successful environment.
- Proven ability to successfully build, launch and maintain new programs in a university or clinical environment
- Proven superior verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact at all organizational levels.
This is a full-time position. While the offices are located in Great River, New York, extensive travel to our affiliated hospitals at least 50% of the time will be necessary. Occasional trips to Grenada may also be required. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9am – 5pm but, as a management level position, additional hours can be expected.
University Support Services supporting St. George’s University
Supporting 40 years of SGU Higher Learning on the Island of Grenada
University Support Services supplies administrative support to the university from is Long Island location in Great River, NY.
St. George’s was founded as an independent School of Medicine in 1976. St. George’s University has evolved into a top center of international education, drawing students and faculty from 140 countries to the island of Grenada, in the West Indies. Students attending St. George’s enjoy the benefits of a thriving multicultural environment on the True Blue campus, offering all the amenities and technologically-advanced facilities of a world-class institution.
St. George’s University holds to these truths: Our highest purpose is education and there is no better education than one that is truly international. We are committed to developing the intellectual capacity, creativity and professionalism of our students – immersing them in the rich diversity of human experience and aspirations, thereby preparing them to shape the future of our world while adding to the knowledge base of humankind.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on Vitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in Vitae’s FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from Vitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using Vitae
Send all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Already have a Vitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.