Chairperson - Department of Communication
Bradley University in Illinois
|Deadline||Open until filled|
|Date Posted||February 6, 2017|
|Type||Tenured, tenure track|
|Salary||Commensurate with experience|
SLANE COLLEGE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND FINE ARTS
CHAIRPERSON - DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATION
Bradley University invites applications and nominations for the position of Chairperson of the Department of Communication. The University seeks a dynamic and creative leader for a department recognized for excellence in its academic programs, innovative curricula, mentoring, interdisciplinary collaborations, partnerships with external constituents, international initiatives, use of technology, and its commitment to cultural diversity. The ideal candidate will embrace a global perspective, cultural diversity, and an understanding of digital convergence in all modes of communication.
The chairperson reports directly to the Dean of the Slane College of Communications and Fine Arts and is a member of the College Executive Committee. The chairperson is the chief administrative and academic officer for the Department of Communication, which includes majors in Advertising, Journalism, Organizational Communication, Public Relations, Television Arts, and Sports Communication, including oversight of the new Charley Steiner School of Sports Communication. The chairperson has direct oversight of the Bradley Speech Team. Winners of 41 national championships, it is the most successful team in the history of intercollegiate forensics. The Department of Communication is the largest in the University with 23 full-time faculty and 400 undergraduate students. The ideal candidate will be:
- A leader who, based on consensus with the faculty, will evaluate, cultivate, and articulate a vision for the department to develop programs and initiatives commensurate with its growing national reputation as one of the foremost programs of its kind;
- An excellent teacher with a record of achievement in university-level instruction in new media fields and in scholarly research and publication and/or creative production;
- An active collaborator who will create dynamic partnerships with other units in the college, across the university, with community organizations, other educational institutions, and commercial and not-for-profit enterprises;
- A person of vision and wisdom, knowledgeable of the state of affairs and the state of the art in new media and in higher education in the region, in the nation, and worldwide; and
- An administrator with significant experience and skills in personnel matters, budget management, fundraising, timely decision-making, public relations and marketing, entrepreneurial initiatives, and recruitment and retention of students and faculty. The Chairperson will also facilitate and promote the professional development of faculty including administering faculty promotion and tenure procedures.
The Department of Communication is part of the Slane College of Communications and Fine Arts that consists of the Departments of Art, Communication, Interactive Media, Music, Theatre Arts, an interdisciplinary Global Scholars Program, and its nationally renowned Hollywood Semester. The Slane College enrolls approximately 1,000 students and has a generous endowment, with excellent integrated technology to support teaching and scholarship in six exclusive campus buildings.
The offices, classrooms, labs, and production facilities for the Department of Communication are located in the renowned Caterpillar Global Communications Center, a multimillion dollar state-of-the-art facility that includes high-end intermedia computer labs, a videoconference center, digital audio and video editing bays, fully mediated videoconference-enabled wired and wireless classrooms, and the full HD studio and post-production facilities of the John C. Hench Production Art Studios.
Required: An appropriate earned terminal degree and qualification for appointment at rank of Full Professor with tenure in Communication; demonstrated successful administrative experience; a record of excellent teaching and scholarship; and the capacity to relate well to students, faculty, staff, alumni, and external constituents.
Preferred: Significant administrative experience with budget responsibility and line authority, a successful record of advancement including initiating and acquiring grants and financial support and other resources for activities in communication that are of professional or public interest.
Rank: Full Professor with Tenure
Salary: Very competitive and commensurate with rank and experience.
Starting Date: August 2017
A complete application must include a letter summarizing qualifications and explaining interest in Bradley University and this position, a current curriculum vitae, and the names and full contact information for at least three current professional references. Candidates invited for a campus interview will be required to have at least three current reference letters, official undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and samples of teaching effectiveness and scholarly works forwarded to the search committee chairperson.
Send a PDF file of the complete application to:
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Employment with Bradley University is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
Bradley University is a private, comprehensive, independent university enrolling 6,000 students in undergraduate and graduate programs. The University is committed to the high ideals of cultural diversity, excellent teaching, collaborative research and creative production, special emphasis (faculty-student collaborative research and creative projects), and shared governance.
Peoria is a metropolitan area of 350,000 located equidistant from Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis. The Peoria active arts community includes ballet, symphony, museums, galleries, and theatres. The region served by Bradley supports several daily and weekly newspapers, stations for all major television networks, a variety of AM and FM radio stations (including NPR), and one cable company. Peoria is home to several companies with international operations and major medical facilities.
Visit Bradley University online at: www.bradley.edu, the Slane College of Communications and Fine Arts at: http://bradley.edu/slane, and the Department of Communication at http://slane.bradley.edu/communication.
Bradley University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The administration, faculty and staff are committed to attracting qualified candidates from underrepresented groups.
How To Apply
It’s easy, fast, and FREE to manage your job search on ChronicleVitae.
- Organize all the documents needed to apply for this position in ChronicleVitae FREE dossier service
- Request letters of recommendation, provide references, and submit applications directly from ChronicleVitae
- Manage your job search, whether as a teaching assistant, a tenure-track professor, or a top administrator
To apply without using ChronicleVitae
Send all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Already have a ChronicleVitae account?
Sign in below to start a new application for this job.